To pay, or not to pay.

• Þ G

Hello gemeente.

One of the arguments in Iceland these days is wheter tourists,

foreign and domestic should pay for visiting popular nature attraction in Iceland.

The government wants to sell an overall “nature pass” to tourists,

but the private owners of those places want to charge tourists them self at each place,

for example 800.- kr for visiting the west bank of Dettifoss:

http://www.visir.is/section/MEDIA99&fileid=VTV3490DAD9-7FA3-4CFE-A40E-F4F69EA74CB2

&

http://www.visir.is/section/MEDIA99&fileid=VTVB4AADCDA-3408-484E-A49B-6A1DE6484CB9

Regards

Þ G

- - - - -

Borgarnes Today !

• Gerry van Roosmalen

If preserving nature cannot be done in any other way, -because I think that 800.000 tourists bring a lot of taxes into Iceland- then a nature pass is the best solution as far as I'm concerned.

It would be terrible for the image of Iceland if tollboots and tourniquettes would appear all over the country, because it is not just Dettifoss, but it is also Geysir, Kerið, Hverarönd, and Krafla where the landowners want to charge a fee.

On the internet I found a report dating from 2008 where they also want to charge for entering Skaftafell and Gullfoss.

And two years back I was interviewed by students at Jökullsárlón. They wanted to know what I would think if they where going to charge money for seeing the Icelake.

So I think this charging by private owners is going to spread like a disease al over Iceland. In fact it is already spreading…

• Þ G

Hello Gerry.

It really scares me,,,

the thought that I have to take up the vallet and pay, many times

on my drive on the ringroad in my holidays just for stopping on a place

lets say like Jökulsárlón,,, very primitiv I must say.

I totally agree with you: “nature pass is the best solution”

Yes and if this starts, then it will spread like a virus:

Eldborg, Deildartunguhver, Grábrók, Hraunfossar, Arnastapi, Surtshellir etc etc ……………………………

where to stop ???

Regards

Þ G

• Gerry van Roosmalen

Well Þ G,

I think this is a task of your government. They should forbid it, and make sure that landowners are compensated for damages done by tourists.

If there is nog sufficient money to do so, then the Nature pass should be the first thing to introduce.

When you look at one of your highlights, and I think it is one of the most famous, Geysir… I already know people who are not going there anymore because the buildings surrounding it, the souvenirshop, the restaurant are bigger then the whole Geysir area.

I hope the largest part of Iceland will remain the wilderness that so many people, not only tourists, -but also Icelanders like you- love so much.

Regards,

Gerry

• Leo Bleeker

Hoi,

Dit gaat toch hopelijk niet door he? Welkom in Disneyland!

Het leuke van ijsland was dat je altijd het idee had op ontdekkingsreis te zijn.

Dit word in een klap teniet gedaan. Poortjes ,hekjes en kassa,s.

Ook straks met bezoekerstijden? Nu kon je nog zomers heel vroeg of heel laat

al die toeristenbussen (vooral bij de golden circle ) ontlopen. Ik ga overdag al niet

eens meer heen naar de golden circle (je kon er over de hoofden lopen bij de gullfoss) waarom niet meteen de boel asfalteren…..nog meer bereikbaarheid …..nog meer geld+toeristen. :( Ik zie het al voor me…je hebt gereden door eindeloze mooie landschappen waarbij je het idee had alleen op de wereld te zijn dan besluit je naar een bepaalde plek te gaan en dan KASSA! Weg is het idee. Ik ga eind juni weer heen en ik hoop dat het dan nog niet zover is,en dat het er nooit van zal komen. Het is toch erg jammer allemaal,maar vreesde het wel altijd dat het zou gebeuren. Maar is het nu al ingegaan? Of zijn ze ernu mee bezig? Een bezorgde ijslandfan

• Gerry van Roosmalen

Bij de Geysir gaat het vanaf 10 maart al in. Maar dit is omstreden omdat een groot deel van het land wel van een privé persoon is, maar een ander deel, onder andere van de Strokkur zelf eigendom is van de staat. Die noemt het heffen van entree zelfs illegaal.

Ondertussen werkt de regering al een tijdje aan een soort Nationale Parken pas, waarmee je toegang hebt tot alle gebieden van IJsland die nu ook open zijn. Met de opbrengst daarvan hopen ze de door toeristen toegebrachte “schade” te kunnen herstellen.

Het is nu even afwachten wat er precies gaat gebeuren.

Groetjes,

Gerry

• Arnold

Today the Icelandic government announced the Naturepass will be introduced as of January 2015.

I think this is the best option rather than check-outs at every tourist site.

And 3.000 ISK (about € 19,=) for one month isn't that expensive either.

As a regular visitor, 5.000 ISK ( € 32,= ) is perhaps more interesting.

• Arnold

Sorry, forgot the link